I did some last-minute fact checking this past weekend as I get closer to the launch of my new book, Secret of the Staircase (The Virginia Mysteries Book 4). The story takes place at Richmond’s historic downtown hotel, The Jefferson. The new book is schedule to release in late October, so be on the lookout!
A few fun facts about The Jefferson:
- Live alligators once resided in the hotel fountains
- It was built in 1895 by Lewis Ginter as one of the finest hotels in the country
- The Grand Staircase was rumored (probably falsely) to be the inspiration for the staircase in Tara from Gone with the Wind
- The hotel was nearly destroyed six years later during a great fire. Workers rescued the prized Jefferson statue by wrapping it in a bed mattress, however they dropped it in the street and the head broke off. (It was later fixed.)
- The Jefferson has been host to 13 US Presidents, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, and many more.
Here are some pictures of my six-year-old junior investigator as we checked out the alligators, staircase and ballroom, Thomas Jefferson statue and more.